- Decide exactly what you want in a specific area and write it down clearly, in detail. Make it measurable and specific.
- Set a deadline for achievement of the goal. If it is a large goal, break it down into smaller parts and set sub-deadlines.
- Make a list of everything that you will have to do to achieve this goal. As you think of new items, add them to your list until it is complete.
- Organize your list of action steps into a plan. A plan is organized on the basis of two elements, priority and sequence.
- Identify the obstacles or limitations that might hold you back from achieving your goal, both in the situation and within yourself. Ask yourself, “Why have I not achieved this goal already?”
Identify the most important constraint or limitation that is holding you back, and then focus on removing that obstacle. It could be a certain amount of money or a key resource. It could be an additional skill or habit that you need. It could be additional information you require. It could be the help or assistance of one or more people. Whatever it is, identify it clearly and go to work to eliminate it.
- Once you have determined your goal, developed your plan, and identified your major obstacle, immediately take action of some kind toward the achievement of your goal. Step out in faith. Do the first thing that comes to mind. But do something to start the process of goal attainment moving forward.
- Do something every day that moves you toward your most important goal. Make a habit of getting up each morning, planning your day, and then doing something, anything, that moves you at least one step closer to what is most important to you.